Monday, June 28, 2010
Friday, June 25, 2010
I'm sad to not be attending the #SHRM10 conference in San Diego, but I know that my HR friends from across the country will be doing their best to keep me and those who aren't attending informed. Plus, I have lots going on this weekend including the TEARS Foundation walk, the Greenwood Car Show, and the Shoreline Arts Festival. My hope for the attendees is that they will receive a renewed enthusiasm for the human resources profession that continues to grow, change, be vilified, be loved, and is never dull.
Here are some folks you should follow if you want to keep up with the conference in no particular order:
- Mary Ellen Slayter, SmartBrief on Workforce Senior Editor, will be blogging and tweeting live at @SBWorkforce. She'll also be posting videos on the SmartBrief YouTube channel. Mary Ellen lives in Washington D.C.
- Laurie Ruettiman, aka Punk Rock HR, who resides in North Carolina with Mr. Scrubby.
- Mike VanDervort, a swell guy and HR practitioner from Florida.
- Jessica Merrell, HR Pro and Author from Oklahoma, who tweets as @blogging4jobs.
- Jennifer McClure, aka @CincyRecruiter, who runs Unbridled Talent and lives in Ohio.
- Gerry Crispin, the ultimate student of recruiting (teacher too).
- Mark Stelzner, a late add to the list, because I wasn't sure he was going. He was running in a race the day after I wrote this. You can follow Mark here on twitter.
A month or so ago I was at the Snoqualmie Casino east of Seattle about 40 miles. We got our first look at Rockaoke and the song that struck me was an old favorite by Hall & Oates. This guy killed it and I don't necessarily think in a good way. So I thought I would share this video with you on the eve of the 2010 conference since Hall & Oates are the featured performers on Tuesday night. I sure hope they sing it better than this guy.
For more information on the conference, visit the SHRM website. I look forward to hearing the thoughts of my fellow HR bloggers and their reactions/impressions to/from the conference. Safe travels and have fun!
Also, don't forget about the TweetUp on Monday night at 6pm.
Tuesday, June 08, 2010
This was my Facebook update yesterday. If you lived through the 80s, you may remember the 1990 movie Joe Vs. The Volcano, a really funny film starring a mulleted Tom Hanks, with the ever changing characters of Meg Ryan. Below is the scene when Joe quits his job with the quick mention of the brain cloud.
My only HR advice for today is don't let your place of employment be like the one that is shown in the clip for your sake and your employees.
When my brain cloud passes, I'll be back with a more thoughtful post. And just to prove that I'm not the only blogger who blogs while sick, here are some posts I found yesterday in my Google Reader catch up session.
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
Here's another cool presentation via RSA Animate featuring Daniel Pink, who I saw speak at the 2007 SHRM Annual Conference. He's a fascinating speaker, and adding a little jazzy animation to his talk, only makes it better.
Curious what motivates you? Your employees? Having purpose is key. It's worth the watch.
Thanks to my friend since third grade for posting this on Facebook. :)